Did you know the retail Rent-A-Car business has existed for over 90 years? For over 90 years, people have been using rental cars. Whether it’s getting a rental car from the airport or needing one while your car is in the shop, rental cars are there to help you get around when your car is unavailable.
However, what comes with a rental car is a huge responsibility. It’s crucial to keep the car in perfect shape, which can be scary when driving a car that isn’t your own.
There’s a big question that pops into our heads when we are getting a rental car:
What happens if I get into an accident with my rental car?
If you happen to get into an accident, here are the steps to take:
- Make sure you’re okay and call 911. Also, call 1-800-ASK-GARY, if you need medical assistance.
- File a report for your insurance company
- Exchange insurance with anyone else involved
- Take pictures
- Make sure to take pictures of any damages on the car. Get a close-up view, as well as, a further view.
- Call the Rental Car Company
The rental car company will walk you through the three steps for rental car reimbursement
- a new rental car
- Dealing with their insurance (if you bought it)
- Getting the car repaired.
Rental car accidents are not as common but do happen. It’s important to be transparent and aware of what happened. No one intentionally gets into an accident. Making sure you are honest and taking responsibility for the damage is the best way to get through an accident.
If you are looking for more information, contact the Rental Car Company and see if you should invest in their insurance for the time being.
ASK Gary is not an attorney or law firm and as such cannot provide you with legal advice, however, we may refer you to a well-suited attorney with the skills and credentials to assist accident victims.